There are so many causes of hip and knee pain, from excess weight to sports injuries, advancing age to repetitive motion injuries. Whatever the cause of your hip and/or knee pain, if you are experiencing it regularly you need to find a way to manage it.
Many people use medications like anti-inflammatories to minimize their discomfort. However, these medications do have potential side effects, so it can be helpful to find other ways to relieve your pain. Physical therapy may be the solution you are looking for.
Call Synergy Manual Physical Therapy in Colorado Springs, CO today to find out the benefits of physical therapy for yourself, and why it’s such a great alternative to using harmful medication!
Physical therapy: An alternative to using medications every day
If your doctor has informed you that you should take pain medicines every day for your hip and/or knee pain, you should do so. However, it never hurts to inquire about other options, such as physical therapy. Working with a physical therapist can aid in the reduction or elimination of pain in a number of ways, including:
- Exercises to increase your strength. Muscle weakness can exacerbate hip and knee discomfort because the weaker your muscles get, the more stress is placed on your joints. Physical therapy focuses on specialized exercises that target and develop certain muscles so that they can better support your joints.
- Ultrasound therapy. Physical therapists utilize ultrasound to apply heat deeper in your soft tissues to relieve pain. Heat helps promote circulation and aid in healing, which might help you feel less pain on a daily basis.
- Exercises to improve mobility and flexibility. Hip and knee discomfort frequently results in a lack of movement and flexibility, which increases joint wear and causes even more pain. Physical therapists can guide you through exercises to enhance your mobility and flexibility, allowing you to move your limbs and joints through the full range of motion that your body and circumstances allow.
- Identify the causes of your hip and knee pain. Hip and knee discomfort can be caused by a variety of factors. A physical therapist can check your movement to see whether anything is contributing to your pain, such as bad posture, bad walking patterns, or bad job movement patterns. Physical therapists can inform you how to fix these problems once they’ve been identified.
- Heat and ice therapy. Heat can be used to improve your mobility and decrease the amount of pain you are experiencing so that you can move more freely. Ice can also be used to lessen pain from your hip and/or knee as well as to reduce inflammation.
Reducing pain with physical therapy
After you’re at the physical therapist getting treatment, you could feel better, but what about when you go home? Your physical therapist’s main purpose is to help you heal your injuries over time.
The different workouts and therapies they utilize with you will gradually improve your condition, allowing you to live a life free of discomfort. Your hips and knees are likely to become less painful as your body becomes stronger and more mobile.
Physical therapy is a long-term solution to pain and suffering through targeted exercises and stretching techniques. Our programs at Synergy Manual Physical Therapy in Colorado Springs, CO are designed to strengthen the targeted areas and help the body recover and heal.
Our therapists are highly trained and experts at identifying the underlying cause of the pain and educating you on significantly improving your quality of life. We recognize the exact points on the body that are not moving as they should and provide individualized programs to restore your function and minimize your pain.
But do I have to stop using pain meds?
If your doctor has prescribed you pain relievers it is best to follow the guidance of your doctor. However, you are welcome to discuss physical therapy with your doctor as well. If you find that your pain level has decreased through physical therapy, you can discuss reducing your pain reliever usage with your doctor.
Schedule an appointment today with a physical therapist
Is hip or knee pain plaguing you daily? You should know that there is a healthy and safe way for you to find the pain relief you deserve. Please contact us today to schedule an appointment with a physical therapist for your hip and knee pain. We are standing by to assist you!